Happisburgh Circular Walk

Route type: Circular and Linear Walks

There is much to see on this walk from the pretty little village of Happisburgh. Heading along the clifftop towards Walcott you are walking above the site where early human footprints were found in sediment on the beach in 2013, which contributed to the coining of this area as the Deep History Coast. The famous Happisburgh Handaxe, an early flint ‘multi-tool’ was also found on the beach nearby.


Further along the cliff top, the remains of a World War II radar station are a stark contrast to the surrounding arable land. St Mary's Church at Happisburgh is also prominent in the landscape, standing proud on its hill, which makes it seem even taller. In the north east corner of the churchyard is the mass grave for the crew of HMS Invincible, which sadly foundered offshore in 1801 on its way to join Nelson's fleet. From one church to another, the walk meanders cross-country along paths and lanes to the more modest church of St Peter in Ridlington. 

The walk begins and ends close to Happisburgh’s famous red and white lighthouse, tours of which can be organised throughout the year – check the Happisburgh website for details. From the lantern room, the view is breath-taking and on clear days it is possible to see the superstructures of oil rigs, far off shore.

Happisburgh