Added to your Itinerary Planner below
Get route gradient profileGenerate
This 4¼ mile (6¾ km) circular walk within the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty in Oxfordshire is 7 miles (11km) west of Wantage. It takes you through open, rolling downland, small pasture fields with some wonderful mixed hedgerows, woodland and a quintessential English village. It includes a classic section of The Ridgeway, with magnificent views of the Vale of White Horse to the north, and passes the unique site of White Horse Hill before descending the steep scarp slope to the small picturesque village of Woolstone in the Vale.
Terrain and conditions
• Tracks, field paths mostly through pasture and minor roads.
• Quite strenuous with a steep downhill and uphill section. 174m (571 feet) ascent and descent.
• There are 9 gates and one set of 5 steps, but no stiles.
• Some paths can be muddy and slippery after rain.
• There may be seasonal vegetation on the route.
We hope you'll enjoy this walk. If you do please consider making a small donation to help us continue to care for the Ridgeway National Trail and provide information about it.