Added to your Itinerary Planner below
Get route gradient profileGenerate
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway is a must to visit while you are in Winchcombe. Entirely run by volunteers, it has a full programme of rides and events throughout the year, from Santa Specials and Thomas the Tank Engine events for the kids, through to Fish & Chips suppers and Beer Festivals for the adults.
The main depot and station is at Toddington, a few miles up the track, but there is plenty to see at Winchcombe Station too. The line has reopened from Cheltenham Racecourse through Winchcombe and past Toddington. Broadway Station is the newest station on our railway and is our northern terminus. The station is situated on the north-western edge of the village, a 15 minute walk from the centre. The whole station has been built by our volunteers in the style of the original which was completely demolished when the line closed and will open in March 2018.
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway is an ideal day out for the family, with lots to do for young and old alike.
- Great value for money… (including reduced fares for Seniors, Children and Families (2 adults and up to 3 children)),
- Buy your all-day rover ticket and you can travel with us all day at no extra charge
- Kids under 5 travel free (maximum of 4 children under 5 years of age for every adult or senior citizen)
- Well behaved dogs travel for a flat-rate fare of £2 in standard class carriages (not First Class) but they are not allowed on the seats or tables, and not allowed on any dining trains or in buffet cars.
- Lots of free parking at Toddington and Cheltenham Race Course Stations
- One carer may travel free with any fare paying registered disabled person
There's so much to see and do…
- Steam train, diesel train and diesel railcar rides
- Return trip of over 26 miles
- Small displays of railway memorabilia
- Great views from the diesel railcar and an opportunity to get up close to the driver
- Large Flag & Whistle Café at Toddington
- Delightful 1950s style Coffee Pot Café at Winchcombe
- Buffet car on most steam trains
- Static vehicle exhibits
- Discovery Coach at Winchcombe
- Authentic Great Western Railway stations
- Have-a-go signalbox at Toddington
- Souvenir shops at Toddington and Cheltenham Race Course stations, including lots of children's gifts and a huge selection of books
- Children's play area at Toddington Station
- Locomotive yard viewing area at Toddington
- Picnic areas at Toddington and Winchcombe
- Free quiz sheets for children at each station
- Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway's own "I Spy" book available at retail outlets.
- Guide Book giving lots of information about the line - only £3 from any of our retail outlets.
- "Railway Rambles" - a new publication giving 12 walks that start and end at one of our stations. Only £3 from any of our shops.
- Free heritage trail explaining the history of Toddington station.
- Lots of Special Events through the year - see here for 2018 events
- See the magnificent Stanway Viaduct (almost 50 feet high with 15 arches) and travel through the dark and mysterious Greet tunnel (look out for the ghost!).
- Local walks in the Cotswolds