Added to your Itinerary Planner below
Get route gradient profileGenerate
Swinford Toll Bridge is a privately owned toll bridge south of Eynsham, which crosses the River Thames just above Eynsham Lock.
The bridge, constructed in local stone in the Georgian style, was opened in 1769. It replaced a pre-existing ferry and its construction was funded by the Earl of Abingdon. The bridge is governed by its own Act of Parliament. It allows the bridge owner to collect tolls (5p per car) and makes the building of bridges across the river illegal for three miles either way up or down stream from Swinford. By repute, the owners do not pay tax on the revenue from the tolls as a perquisite from King George III. It is one of the two remaining toll bridges which cross the Thames upstream from London, the other being Whitchurch Bridge.
Bridge Toll House is still in use at Swinford Bridge. The principal structure is thought to have been built for the Bridge Company Turnpike Trust in 1767. It is in the form of a lodge cottage with protruding front. It is still the toll keeper's house property and retains the tollhouse features almost unaltered.
The Thames Path passes underneath the toll bridge