Spot the Cleveland Way on the Skelton Community Mosaic

8th November 2017

A wonderful Community Mosaic has been installed alongside the trail in Skelton.

This is one of the Projects of Skelton Village Civic Pride and it involved developing  a planting wall on a semi-derelict site adjoining the Cleveland Way National Trail placing a Community Mosaic on that wall.   

The Community Mosaic itself has been researched, designed and produced by the combined efforts of Skelton Villages Civic Pride, Redcar & Cleveland Council’s Community Development staff, the Skelton History Group, pupils at Skelton Primary School and Helen Jane Gaunt and Derek Mosey, Community Artists renowned in the area or their mosaic work.  Final production itself has also involved many local groups and school children.

For further details of the Skelton Townscape Heritage Project please visit the website at https://skeltontownscapeheritage.org.uk

The Mosaic illustrates the history and heritage of Skelton from 1086 to 2017

•           1086: The Domesday Book records the manor of Skelton

•           Arms of de Brus: Robert de Brus built the first castle in 12th Century

•           Skelton Castle: building the present castle began in 1788

•           Medieval agriculture: farming was an important part of village life for centuries

•           The old Parish Church: built 1785/86 on the foundations of the 13th Century church

•           A miner and his lamp: the ironstone mining boom in Skelton began in the 1860s

•           The High Street and a new Parish Church followed in the 1870s and 1880s

•           A Cleveland Bay horse, England’s oldest breed, pulling a milk cart

•           A Swift flying overhead: their screams are a typical sound of summer

•           The War Memorial: commemorating the dead of two World Wars

•           The Cleveland Way: opened in May 1969

•           The Whipping Post: public punishment on the village green

•           Ringrose Community Orchard: a new development, the heritage of the future

•           Children dance round the Maypole in front of the old Infants’ School

•           A sword dancer performing the Long Sword dance

•           2017 – Planted tubs and a new tree reflect the latest changes

The funding was part of the work to improve Skelton High Street and was secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund in June 2016.   Supported by a range of Partners, including Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council, a Public Realm Contract, including the wall and mosaic, was started in May 2017 and finished in early September.

More news from the Trail »

Share this story:

community mosaic