- The National Trails
- Cleveland Way
- Cotswold Way
- England Coast Path
- Glyndŵr's Way
- Hadrian's Wall Path
- North Downs Way
- Offa's Dyke Path
- Peddars Way / Norfolk Coast Path
- Pembrokeshire Coast Path
- Pennine Bridleway
- Pennine Way
- South Downs Way
- South West Coast Path
- Thames Path
- The Ridgeway
- Yorkshire Wolds Way
Extreme weather walking advice (20th February 2014).20th February 2014
The weather has now moderated with gales and rain mixed with mild dry days. However take heed of the following advice on stormy days.
When extreme weather conditions are forecast for Pembrokeshire, we would advise all recreational users to think twice before heading outdoors. In particular, we would advise caution in selecting coastal routes and check tides times for beach walks.
If you plan to head outdoors, take greater care than you would normally and remember:
- The Coast Path is regularly maintained and inspected but after the New Year storms it is particularly important that you take care in using this challenging and exposed Path.
- Be cautious about using parts of the Path with tidal elements – make sure the tide doesn’t cut you off – tides are very high at the moment.
- Take particular care if you are using parts of the Path that have a wind blowing away from the land – usually north and east facing bits of coast. Be especially cautious if you are carrying a pack.
- Take particular care on bridge and stepping stone crossings – high water levels of streams and rivers may have loosened timbers and decking may be slippery.
- Suitable clothing – water and windproof and footwear with deep treads is essential at this time of year – expect muddy conditions. One or two walking poles give extra stability.
- Phone our National Park Centre at Tenby on 01834 845040 for the most up to date Coast Path information.
Current Path closures or concerns
- Easy access viewing Platform at Penally (top of South Beach, Tenby) has been removed but a path to the beach is available (Not wheelchair accessible).
The Dramway between Saundersfoot and Wiseman's Bridge is partially closed, please use the alternative cliff top route between the well and Coppit Hall
- Path from Caerfai Car Park (St Davids) to Caerfai Beach is closed because of land slip – the path here has now been removed – do not cross barriers. Repairs are planned.
- Easy access paths at Abereiddi, Carew, Solva, Newport Parrog to Cwm are all out of condition and probably unsuitable for most easy access use.
- Most beach access paths will be affected by debris, easy access (wooden) paths at Newgale and Manorbier are out of use. The beach access path at Matthew Slade (Marloes Sands South access) is closed
- Phone our Tenby Information Centre on 01834 845040 for the most up to date Coast Path information.
If you are planning to walk the whole Coast Path or a significant stretch over the next few weeks we would be really please to hear from you – we are looking for feedback and maybe photos of the Coast Path and to hear of any areas which cause you concern. Again phone 01834 845040 or e-mail to email@example.com.