Runswick Wrack Hills
Type: Sites of Historic Interest
On the Trail
Facilities and additional information
Walk along the cliff path south east of Staithes and just before reaching Runswick Bay the route turns sharp right and passes two overgrown ponds. Now a haven for wildlife these ponds were built around 1856 as reservoirs to supply water to an ironworks established on the slumped cliff below. The area is known as The Wrack Hills or The Wreck Hills, both equally appropriate names.
For more details click here.