Mount Grace Priory
Owner: English Heritage
Yorkshire DL6 3JG
Telephone: 01609 883494
Facilities and additional information
The best preserved of only nine Carthusian priories in this country, Mount Grace was founded in 1398 with a small church placed between two cloisters. The monks were housed in individual cells - small, two-storey buildings (each with a study and bedroom on the ground floor, a workshop on the first floor and a small enclosed garden for each cell), of which only the ground floor remains.
Lay brethren carried out the harder work of the community and the present large residence, which is not open to the public, was part of the Priory s Guest House. The Priory is cared for by English Heritage.
shop, refreshments, free parking