If you wish to ride a motorbike, or drive a 4 by 4 or car on The Ridgeway you can legally use the following sections (most of which can only be used by recreational vehicles from 1st May to 30th September each year).
Western half of The Ridgeway
There are four sections of the Trail from Overton Hill to Streatley on the River Thames that have byway status and can therefore be driven for recreation. A summary map of the western half of The Ridgeway is available as a download below but grid references are given here and you are advised to check detailed maps before you venture out:
- 6 miles - from the start of the Trail at Overton Hill (SU 118681) to just west of Barbury Castle (SU 145764). Available for driving from 1st May to 30th September only (apart from final 200m that can be driven at any time of the year).
- 4.5 miles - from just west of Ogbourne St George (SU 193746) to south of Liddington Castle (SU 215780). Available for driving from 1st May to 30th September only.
- Less than 2 miles - from Fox Hill (SU 232815) south of Hinton Parva to Bishopstone (SU 259832). Available for driving at any time of the year.
- 4 miles - from north of Compton (SU 509819) to Streatley (SU 567813). Available for driving from 1st May to 30th September only.
East of the River Thames
There is just one very short byway section available for driving 1st May to 30th September only:
- 1 mile on the edge of Princes Risborough from the Wycombe Road (SP 806025) east to SP 814033.
For information on how to report an illegal/dangerous vehicle, click here
For detailed map information showing seasonal Traffic Regulation Orders, click here