St Edward's Church is a Grade ll listed building and has a much restored 14th century west tower. The rest of the building was rebuilt in 1752 and again in 1875-7.
The development of the street leading to the church and river is variously attributed to the late 13th/early 14th century or 19th century expansion.
A motte (Bryn y Castell) built prior to the Norman Conquest indicates the early beginnings of a settlement. However, when a new castle was built in 1191-2 by William de Braose, followed by the granting of the market and fair charters in 1230, Knighton developed into a major trading centre.
The only other medieval structure is Old House in High Street, which originated as a 15th cenutry hall house but was extended in the 17th century.
Knighton has two distinct areas: the lower part of the town has a level grid of streets, rather like an Edwardian plantation (left) while the upper part of town, (the core of the medieval town, right) has narrow streets huddled around the motte.
The george and Dragon in Broad Street dates back to 1637, whereas the Horse and Jockey in Wylcwm Street is basically a later medieval stone house.
For more Archaeological Information on this town including a map with interactive pointers please click the link: CPAT Maps