The tower of St Nicholas Church was used as a place of refuge during the Civil War.
In 1646, Royalists were planning to camp overnight at Churchstoke and took refuge in the church. However, they were forced to surrender in the ensuing battle when the Parliamentarians set fire to the church door.
Following the restoration of 1812, there are only a few signs of musket shots remaining notably by the window on the north wall of the tower.
Field shapes developed irregularly during Medieval times, as woodlands were gradually felled.
Hedgerows marking field boundaries often contained many species of plants and trees. Mature oak trees that can now be seen standing in the middle of fields, indicate the position of past hedgerows and can show how field boundaries have changed.
The present-day field pattern has been in existence since the mid 19th century.
The settlement of Churchstoke - as described in the Domesday Book of 1086 - became part of the lordship of Montgomery that same year.
Former industry in Churchstoke included a brickworks, which operated from the 1870s to the 1920s. As well as producing bricks, it also made drainage pipes and flowerpots.
Local quarries were in use until the early 20th century, while a water mill to the south of the village on the River Camlad was renovated in the 17th century, only for it to fall into disrepair again by the 19th century.
For more Archaeological Information on this town including a map with interactive pointers please click the link: CPAT Maps