St Bartholomews Church Otford
Facilities and additional information
There was an Anglo-Saxon church on this site and the north and west walls of the nave date from about the time of the Norman Conquest. The chancel is early 14th Century and the whole church was restored by the famous Victorian architect G E Street. There is a fine Easter Sepulchre, dated 1510-27 on the north side of the sanctuary and nearby is the Tudor vestry with a very rare feature: an internal recess in the wall originally used as a wafer oven.Two small sepulchral slabs, against the west wall, dating from about 1200, were dug up in the churchyard and were probably used to cover the graves of the children of a wealthy local family. Other items of note are the Royal Arms of William of Orange, the eraly 17th Century font cover and outside, a 12th or 13th Century scratch dial in the south-western quoin (by a lamp bracket).