Greyfriars Chapel & Franciscan Gardens
25 High Street
Kent CT1 2BD
Telephone: 01227 471688
Facilities and additional information
The Franciscan (Grey) Friars established their first house in England on this site in 1224. The friary was rebuilt in 1267 and the Chapel is the only surviving building from that time. The Friary was dissolved in 1538 by Henry VIII and the brothers expelled. They are now returning 467 years later, living in nearby cottages, worshipping in Greyfriars Chapel and doing pastoral work in Eastbridge Hospital and the city centre parish.