St Gregory & St Martin Wye
Facilities and additional information
Dating from the 13th century, the original church was larger with a tower and steeple. It was restored and altered in 1450 by the Archbishop of Canterbury, John Kempe, founder of Wye College and native of the town. The steeple was hit by lightning in 1527 but the large cruciform church survived until 1686 when the tower collapsed, demolishing the whole of the east end. So nervous were the townspeople in rebuilding the tower they made it truly massive. The rest of the church was built in 1701-06 in Queen Anne style. The contrast between medieval and Queen Anne gives this church its particular charm. Some tombs that were once inside the church are now outside as a result of the rebuilding.