St Marthas on the Hill Chapel
Facilities and additional information
The only church dedicated to St Martha in England. The hill was thought to be the site of a pagan massacre of Christians and parts of the present church dates from 12th Century. An important site on the pilgrim route from Winchester to Canterbury since at least 1453.The west tower fell down in the 17th Century - possibly due to an explosion at Chilworth gunpowder factory - and was rebuilt in 1848-50 using stone from the original church. The 12th century font was originally in Hambledown Church, near Godalming.Inside are relics denoting Knight Crusaders and an AA Milne cartoon depicting modern day travellers passing medieval pilgrims of which the original lies in Guildford Cathedral.