Telephone: 01634 402276
Facilities and additional information
The first castle was built on this site by Romans to protect the bridge across The Medway. Work started in 1087 on the current castle and it has one of the tallest keeps in England. King John lay siege in 1215 and finally took it but caused the SE tower to collapse. The tower was rebuilt round rather than square which is unusual.