Published by: Hadrian's Wall Heritage Ltd (2011, ISBN: 978-0-9547342-7-5)
This book contains the Top 16 do-in-a-day circular walks in Hadrian’s Wall Country.
The course of Hadrian’s Wall runs through a varied and inspiring landscape ranging from the tranquility of the Solway Estuary to the rugged uplands of the central section of the Wall. It is rich in archaeology, wildlife and geological interest.
This set of walks and itineraries presents some of the best walking in Hadrian’s Wall Country. You can concentrate on the Wall itself or sample some of the hidden gems just waiting to be discovered – the choice is yours.
Make a day of it by visiting some of the many historic sites and attractions along the walks and dwell awhile for refreshment at the cafés, pubs and restaurants that you will come across. Just pick the walks that suit you and enjoy yourself!
Maps, Photographs, Directions & Highlights
Walking time, Distance & Grade (Easy, Moderate, Strenuous)
Transport information & Places to eat and drink
Suggested Itineraries incorporating the National Trail
Other walks in the area
List of Walks:
1.Fort-to-Fort (North and Sound Tyneside)
2. Around the Medieval Town Walls (Newcastle City)
3. Wylam to Prudhoe (Alongside the River Tyne)
4. Corbridge and Aydon Castle (Corbridge, Northumberland)
5. Chesters and Humshaugh (Chesters Roman Fort)
6. A “barbarian” view of the Wall (Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland National Park)
7. Once Brewed, Roman Vindolanda and Housesteads (Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland National Park)
8. Cawfields to Caw Gap (Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland National Park)
9. Haltwhistle Burn to Cawfields (Haltwhistle is on the edge of Northumberland National Park)
10. Gilsland Spa “Popping-stone” and Birdoswald (Cumbria / Northumberland borders)
11. Brampton to Lanercost (Cumbria)
12. Historic Carlisle (Carlisle City’s historic quarter)
13. Forts and Ports (Port Carlisle, Bowness-on-Solway in Solway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty)
14. Roman Maryport and the Smugglers Route (Maritime Maryport on the edge of the Solway Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty)
15. Whitehaven to Moresby Roman Fort (Coastal walk from Whitehaven)
16. Ravenglass (Cumbria)
To purchase, please visit the Hadrian's Wall Country Online Shop